Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Sound of Music- Georgian Style

Recently 10 of us volunteers went to a town in the west for the 10th anniversary of a language competition.  120 students from the region competed in English, Russian, German, and French, with the majority being in English.  We volunteers were responsible for proctoring, grading the essays, and conducting the interviews.  I recalled my language tests here in Georgian, and other foreign language classes throughout my education, while giving the interviews and the stress I used to feel during them.  It was nice to be on the other end of the interviews for once.  Although it was still somewhat stressful!  Our country director of Peace Corps Georgia came to the event and was my co-grader for the interviews! :)  On top of all that we had random Georgian business people in the room observing us and the news was there the entire time with his red light on almost constantly!

One of the most exciting parts about the event was seeing the creativity in the students' essays.  One of the essay topics was: "If you were an animal, what would it be and why?"
One of the most epic lines I've ever read in an essay- "I have thought so much about being an animal, I am afraid I don't want to be human anymore." Adorable.


At the awards assembly students from the host school put on a slightly abridged version of "The Sound of Music".  But not without the younger students first doing a dance to a techno Christmas classic.  There is not a song in Georgia that they do not find a way to make a techno version out of.


The Sisters
















The Von Trap Children
The Goodbye Scene                            















Carston, Amy, Ariana, Anastasia, Claire, Jana, Goodloe, Conner





No comments:

Post a Comment