Saturday, December 3, 2011

School, school, school, and more school.

I have had a brand new classroom all semester. I painted it with Claire and Goodloe over the summer making it our second painting job in Georgia. Unfortunately, we have yet to actually use the room due to a lack of chairs available. My director has now promised we will have them by the start of the new semester next year. This is my counterpart Lina, with whom I teach everyday, she is in our room trying to figure out how we can finally make use of this valuable space dedicated purely to English once we get said chairs! :)

This is the room without all of the English decorations we have planned for it in its most bare condition. We plan on decorating further once we hold lessons in the room and see how the space is used. More pictures will be posted in the future. :) Cross your fingers that I get to use it at least once before the two years are over.

My students are all very enthusiastic about taking part in lessons focused on American holidays. For Halloween my 6th graders made masks and they really went wild with the creativity! It was exciting to see them really take advantage of the opportunity to do different tasks than normal.


In my 6th and 7th grade classes I also carved pumpkins for Halloween. However, pumpkins in Georgia are not like the pumpkins in America. They are of a different breed. They have skins as thick as that guy from "Fantastic 4" Whose skin is like stone! I bent my stainless steel knife carving one and bent the tip off of one of my host family's knives on the other. oops. But the kids really loved the experience. Some of the other teachers just saw us in the courtyard in front of school and had an expression of "oh it's just the American doing another strange American thing." :)

It all turned out well.





I originally had no intention of letting the students carve the pumpkins. But after already bending a stainless steel knife, needles to say my hands were hurting. Also, I am not exactly known for my knife wielding ability, so it was a safe bet it was actually safer for them to take over the project than me.



No comments:

Post a Comment