Sunday, May 29, 2011

Jame! Georgia Takes the Cake as a Top Food Culture.


Saying food is an integral part of this culture would be an understatement. I have visited many places where cuisine was a key ingredient of the culture, but I think Georgia is unlike any other. Hospitality is an integral part of how they behave and how they perceive themselves. Being that offering and providing one's guests is a primary means to convey said hospitality, let's just say one never has the opportunity to go hungry here. :)

When I first arrived I did try to eat almost everything they offered except for dairy which I have stood firm against eating here. However as time goes on I realize neither my stomach nor my body will appreciate if I consume EVERYTHING...including the literally loaves of bread they offer in a single sitting daily. I love the dishes that are solely Georgian, which include khatchapouri and lobiani, basically cheese bread and bean bread. However, in the interest of my health I stand firm on consuming only one pouri (bread) serving a day and so far it has gone well. Granted there are days that my host mom thinks I eat only beans and cucumbers, but I'm doing alright so far. We lovingly joke that butter, oil, and salt seem to be food groups here, but other than that, the vegetables I have been offered are in fact quite amazing. I don't always know every vegetable that is in each dish so I just refer to them as medleys of goodness!

In one more display of appreciation for us American visitors, Claire's Family (Claire is the other girl volunteer in my village and the one in the picture) made a cake for us. It says in Georgian "Me Mik'vars claire da zhana.", or "I love Claire and Jana"! It was really adorable and made me feel special to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment